Digital CUrrents is a three-week technology intensive summer workshop for high school and middle school students who are largely from underrepresented minority groups.
Students learn a variety of computer programs and programming skills to create and manipulate digital content to complete a final project that showcases their creative and technical talents.
Workshop participants also visit with guest speakers about career opportunities in technology-related fields and enjoy field trips to local technology-focused businesses.
Since its inception in 2002, this program, which is sponsored by the ATLAS Institute in partnership with the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT), has successfully engaged minority and female high school and middle school students in the use of current information and communication technology (ICT), and introduced them to ICT-related programs of study where both women and minorities are considerably underrepresented.
Historically, students from Denver's North and Thomas Jefferson high schools have made up the majority of Digital CUrrents participants. Past projects have included the creation of a video documentary celebrating the 100th Anniversary of North High School, including rendering the North campus for Google Earth in partnership with Google's Boulder office, and the creation of a new website and brand identity for the North High School Computer Magnet Program, now called the "North Media Arts Lab."
For more information or to find out how you can support Digital Currents, contact Kathleen Sutherland Archuleta, director of External Relations. To donate directly online, click on the button below.
Digital CUrrents Program Report, 2011, click here.
Digital CUrrents one-page handout, click here.
Digital CUrrents contribution form, click here.
Digital CUrrents Program Fund (CU Foundation), click here.
• Campos sets fundraising goal for DigitalCUrrents
• Digital CUrrents gets grant, ATLAS Web site
• DigitalCUrrents students note school’s anniversary, ATLAS Web site
• DigitalCUrrents discussed by North High School students (video) ATLAS YouTube channel
• CU, TAM grad living a dream at Dreamworks, ATLAS blog
• Denver North students work at ATLAS (includes YouTube video) Daily Camera
• Dillard buildings modeled by DigitalCUrrents on Google Earth, ATLAS Web site
• Technology Summer Camp, NCWIT blog
• Work + Life: Finding the Balance, NCWIT blog